This recipe can be done at home easily, and its better than store-bought ones. Tahini is a paste made from toasted sesame seeds. It is a staple in the cuisines of the Mediterranean and in the middle-east. It is used as a major ingredient in Hummus (try my recipe) and Baba ghanoush. You can also use it as a salad dressing.
Commercial Tahini is typically made from hulled sesame seeds( white in color). Therefore its lighter in color. Black sesame seeds are also used to make black tahini. This is widely used in Asian cuisines, popular in Japanese food. They are more pungent and bitter than the white sesame seeds.
Process of making Tahini
Only two ingredients are required to make tahini -(white) hulled sesame seeds and oil.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a pan, until there is a slight change in color and become fragrant. Make sure you do not burn them.
- Blend then in a food processor, if you feel that the sesame seeds are not blending well, add oil at this stage to encourage blending till the paste becomes smooth. (Check photos below)
Preparation time:5 min
Total Time: 10 min
Cuisine: Middle-east, Mediterranean
- 2 cups white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Dry roast the sesame seeds in a pan. Continue stirring with a spoon, to ensure that they don’t burn. Toast the seeds until there is a slight change in color and turn fragrant.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool. Once cooled add them into a food processor or in a blender. Blend until it starts to form clumps. Scrape down the sides of the jar.
- Add oil at this stage and continue blending till it turns smooth and creamy.
- Pour them into a jar. Store them in a refrigerator to increase its shelf life.
* Over time you may find separation in the jar, this is normal. Stir it before consumption.
Nutrition Facts: Calories158kcal, Total Fat: 14.2g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 3mg, Total Carbohydrate: 5.6g, Dietary Fiber: 2.8g, Total Sugars: 0.1g, Protein: 4.3g, Vitamin D: 0mcg, Calcium: 234mg, Iron: 3mg, Potassium: 112mg.
*The nutritional information are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data.