It’s now autumn in Qatar, but yet the climate looks and feels like summer! Though the temperatures are slightly lower compared to the summer months I still do not feel like its autumn. Some days the weather becomes cloudy with a promise of rain but out comes the sun! Dang! I have never truly enjoyed the autumn here. But I do try to make autumnal foods at home, just to give me that autumnal vibe.
Come autumn and this is the first dish I bake in the oven my Pumpkin Walnut Spice cake. This cake reminds me of my apple spice cake (recipe coming soon), the flavours are similar but in this recipe, you will get a hint of pumpkin. I have used my Homemade Pumpkin Puree instead of canned pumpkin puree. This cake is covered with a creamy and tangy cream cheese frosting. Spice cake and cream cheese a match made in heaven. The flavour combination is finger-licking good.
How to prepare Pumpkin Walnut Spice Cake
This is a very easy cake to prepare in terms of ease and preparation. Only 2 bowls needed.
1. Mix the dry ingredients.
2. Mix the wet ingredients.
3. Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
4. Pour the batter into a prepared 9×9 inch square pan.
5. Bake in a preheated oven.
6. Make cream cheese frosting.
Pumpkin Walnut Spice Cake Ingredients
1. Flour– I used All-purpose flour. It serves as a base for most of my cake recipes.
2. Baking powder and Baking Soda– Helps the cake rise.
3. Pumpkin Puree– I have used my Homemade Pumpkin Puree instead of canned. I feel homemade taste much better than canned. Do check out my Homemade Pumpkin Puree recipe. Prepare the puree one day in advance.
4. Eggs– gives structure and moisture to the cake.
5. Oil– Gives moisture to the cake and makes the cake light and fluffy.
6. Sugar– I used brown sugar. It gives a nice colour to the cake. You can also use white sugar or half of the brown and half of the white sugar.
7. Vanilla Extract– adds flavour.
8. Spices– I used cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger powder. You can also use allspice powder.
9. Walnuts– Adds crunch and texture to the cake. You can also use chopped almonds or pecans. Use any nuts of your choice.
I have used cream cheese frosting which is pipable to make rosettes or swirls and other decorations. This frosting is not too sweet. The trick in making the frosting pipable is by using soft cream cheese block (not cream cheese spread) which should be cold to touch. The Butter should also be soft and yet cold to touch. By the time you end up doing your frosting, it should still be cool to touch. If your frosting becomes warm and soupy, put them in your fridge for 10 minutes. The frosting should thicken and hold its shape.
I have divided my frosting into two batches and used 2 different colours. I used Wilton piping tip 1M and 2D to make pretty rosettes.
You can decorate the cake however you want. You can also leave out the colour and just use white cream cheese frosting. Get creative!
Pumpkin Walnut Spice Cake
Preparation time:15 min
Total Time:3 hours
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp cloves powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups homemade pumpkin puree
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8oz (224g) Creem cheese block, softened and cool to touch
- 120 g butter, softened and cool to touch
- 1 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 177°C and grease a 9×9 inch square pan. You can also use a round pan.
- in a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, cloves powder, ginger powder. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently whisk until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 30-35 min. Baking time may vary, check your cake when your oven hits 30 min mark. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on an iron rack. Let the cake cool completely. You can also refrigerate the cake for later decoration.
- Making Cream Cheese frosting- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to make the frosting. Beat the cool cream cheese on high speed until creamy, then add cool and soft butter and salt and continue beating on high speed till the entire mix turns pale and fluffy.
- Add sifted confectioner’s sugar little at a time and beat on low speed till the sugar gets fully incorporated.
- If the frosting becomes soupy and warm. Refrigerate for 10 min.
- Put the frosting in a piping bag and decorate the cake as you like.
- Cut and serve.
- Make sure that the cream cheese and butter are cool to touch. They should not come to room temperature.
- You can wrap the cake with a cling film and store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Bring it to room temperature, frost and serve.
- You can convert this cake into cupcakes as well. You should be able to make 24 cupcakes. Pour the batter 2/3 rd full and bake at the same temperature for 15-18 min or until baked through.