Mapo Tofu or Mapo doufu is a Chinese dish from Sichuan province. It consists of tofu set in a spicy red sauce along with minced meat. Mapo tofu roughly translates to “pockmarked grandma’s beancurd”. I have tasted this dish in Chinese as well as in Korean restaurants. They both vary in flavour and spice levels. I liked both versions, and hence decided to make my own version of mapo tofu with whatever ingredients were available in Qatar.
I have used both Sichuan red peppercorns and Korean gochujang paste (red pepper paste). I have an Indian taste bud and for me the spice levels in gochujang paste was mild, therefore I added Sichuan peppercorns to get that “numbing” effect. If you don’t have Sichuan peppercorns you can add crushed black peppercorns. Adjust the spice levels.
Korean gochujang paste is available in Lulu Hypermarket as well as in Carrefour. You can also order it from Amazon. Below is the picture of gochujang paste for your reference.
Preparation time:10 min
Total Time:30 min
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 3 red chillies
- 350 gm minced meat (lamb, beef or pork)
- 2-3 tbsp Korean gochujang paste (red hot pepper paste)
- 1 tbsp crushed Sichuan Peppercorns ( or black Peppercorns)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 green scallions, chopped
- 250 gm tofu, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cornstarch (dissolve in 1/4 cup of water)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- salt to taste
- Toast the Sichuan peppercorns on low heat in a wok. Coarsely grind the peppercorns.
- Heat oil in a wok, add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute till it becomes fragrant. Add the onions and red chillies. Saute till the onions become slightly golden.
- Add ground Sichuan peppercorns. Stir fry for a minute. Add in the minced meat and a pinch of salt.
- Stir fry the meat till it becomes brown and the oil leaves the sides of the wok.
- Add the green scallions and Korean gochujang paste. Mix everything well. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add in one cup of water and soy sauce. Mix everything well. Let the mixture come to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add the chopped tofu, sugar and salt to taste. Mix everything well. Let the gravy simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Serve it with rice.
Notes: If you cannot find Sichuan peppercorns in your region. Substitute it with black peppercorns. Adjust the spice levels.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 335, Carbohydrates: 8g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 29g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 27mg, Sodium: 126mg, Potassium: 340mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 165IU, Vitamin C: 3.5mg, Calcium: 47mg, Iron: 1.4mg.
*The nutritional information are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data.