This is my favourite noodles other than my Chinese stir-fry noodles. Singapore noodles is one dish where it does not require lots of ingredients and can be done quickly when you want to satiate your hunger immediately.
The actual version of Singapore noodles uses pork and prawns. Since I am allergic to seafood, I just thought why not skip it. It tastes equally good without the pork and prawns as well. The key ingredient in this dish is to use good quality curry powder. I have used a mild Madras curry powder. The other most important step is the cooking of the rice noodles. The rice noodles needs to be soaked in hot water for 2-3 minutes only. Do not soak the noodles more than 3 minutes otherwise you will end up with soggy noodles.
You can use whatever vegetables you have in hand. I have added egg in this dish just for protein. You can skip it. Feel free to add whatever choice of protein you like in my version of singapore noodles.
Singapore Egg Noodles
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Total Time: 20 min
Yield: 2 servings
- Rice noodles – 200 g
- eggs – 4
- vegetable oil – 4 tbsp
- garlic cloves – 4, finely diced
- onion – 1, sliced
- carrot – 1, julienned
- Capsicum – 2, julienned
- Light Soy Sauce – 1/4 cup
- vinegar – 1 tbsp
- curry powder- 2 tsp
- sugar- 1 tsp
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water for 2-3 minutes, or until they are just tender. After 2 minutes drain the noodles and keep it aside.
- In a wok on high heat, add oil. Break the eggs into a bowl and lightly whisk them. Pour the beaten eggs into the wok. Scramble and cook the eggs. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Remove the eggs and keep it aside. In the same wok, add oil if required, then add garlic and onions. Fry till the onions become pink.
- Add the carrots, capsicum and stir fry them on high heat for 4-5 min or until they become crisp. The vegetables should have a bite and not be fully cooked.
- Add the drained rice noodles and eggs. To this add soy sauce, vinegar, curry powder and sugar. Give it a mix until everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately.