This Yellow rice is simple, easy to make and delicious. It is one of my favorites. I first tried this dish in Qatar, in one of the restaurants, and I fell in love with it. This is one dish that you can serve it with anything you like. I usually serve this with a salad and fried fish.
What is Yellow Rice?
Yellow rice is nothing but white rice cooked with spices like saffron or turmeric to give the rice a nice bright yellow color. It is a traditional dish of Spain, Indonesia, Philippines, Afghanistan, South Africa and many more. I have used Turmeric in this recipe. But you can also make it with saffron.
Yellow Rice Recipe Variations
1. You can add peas and carrot to this recipe, as it can give you added nutrition.
2. You can also make it sweet by adding sugar, raisins, and cinnamon.
3. For a more Mexican style, you can add Jalapenos while sauteing and sprinkle with a little cumin powder.
Process of making Yellow rice
1. In a deep bottom saucepan, on medium-low heat, add oil, when the oil becomes slightly hot, add minced garlic and chopped onions. Saute till the onions turn pink. Make sure that you do not burn the onions and garlic.
2. Now add turmeric powder, stock cube, and rice. Then add 2 cups of water. You can also use vegetable/chicken broth instead of water. If using broth do not add the stock cube.
3. Add ground black pepper to taste. Stir everything. Put the lid on and cook the rice until done.
4. Serve it with fried fish, kebab or salad.
Yellow Rice/Turmeric Rice
Preparation time:5 min
Cooking time:15 min
Total Time:20 min
- 1 cup washed white rice( Basmati or Jasmine)
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Vegetable/chicken stock cube
- 2 cups of water (or broth)
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a deep bottom saucepan, over medium-low heat.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onions, saute till the onions turn pink.
- Add turmeric powder, stock cube (skip this if using broth) and rice. Stir until well combined.
- Add water (broth if using) and ground black pepper to taste.
- Close the saucepan with a lid and simmer the rice for 20-25 minutes.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, remove from heat.
- Serve it hot along with accompaniments of your choice.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 255kcal, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 23mg, Sodium: 799mg, Potassium: 160mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 275IU, Vitamin C: 8.5mg, Calcium: 23mg, Iron: 0.8mg.
*The nutritional information are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data.