This vegetable stew is flavourful and soulful. Its the perfect meal to make when leftover veggies are sitting in your fridge. This is a simple dish which can be done in your pressure cooker (if you are in a hurry!) or over the stovetop. You can use whatever vegetables you like. It is a versatile dish, just make sure that you add green veggies at the end and frozen green peas at the last.
This stew is flavoured with light aromatic spices and a taste of coconut milk. I have used canned coconut milk. You can use fresh coconut milk, but make sure it’s thick. Coconut milk powder can also be used (which I sometimes use). Dissolve 5 tbsp coconut milk powder in half cup of hot water and your coconut milk is ready.
This vegetable stew is pure vegan. For a non-vegetarian dish, refer to my Indian Beef Stew recipe.
How to make Vegetable Stew
1. Chop the vegetables, and keep it aside. I have used Potatoes, cauliflower, beans, carrot and yellow capsicum. You can use whatever vegetables you want.
2. Add few tablespoons of coconut oil, add whole spices cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom and star anise. Once the spices become fragrant. Add sliced onions and slit green chillies. Fry till the onions turn golden brown. Then add crushed ginger-garlic or paste. Saute till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic disappears.
3. Add cauliflower and potatoes. Add vegetable stock and bay leaves. Give it a stir. Cover the pot with a lid and cook the veggies till half done.
4. Add the rest of the veggies and water. Then add crushed black pepper, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Then add coconut milk. Mix everything well. Cover the pot with a lid and cook till the vegetables become tender.
5. Once the vegetables are tender. Switch off the flame. Serve it with steamed rice and papads.
Vegetable Stew With Coconut Milk
Preparation time:15 min
Total Time:35 min
Yield: 4-5 servings
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 1-2 cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1-inch ginger, crushed
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 medium-sized carrot, chopped
- 1 cup beans, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 2 and 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- Chop the vegetables and keep it aside.
- In a pot on medium-low flame, add coconut oil, add the whole spices, cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, and bay leaves.
- Once the spices become fragrant, add sliced onions and green chillies. Saute the onions till they turn golden brown. Add crushed ginger-garlic. Saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add cauliflower and potatoes. Add vegetable stock. Cook till the vegetables are half done.
- Add the rest of the vegetables- carrots, capsicum, and beans.
- Add turmeric powder, crushed black pepper, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt. Add coconut milk.
- Mix everything well. Cook the vegetables till they become tender.
- Switch off the flame. Serve the vegetable stew with rice and papads.